Chromebooks provide an affordable option for users who want the laptop or tablet experience but are on a tight budget. These devices run on Chrome OS which is slightly more powerful than the mobile operating system. If for some reason you want to reset your Chromebook, then this guide is for you. Here you’ll learn how to reset Chromebook in different ways.
Several PC companies like Dell, Lenovo, and others make Chromebooks that cost less than Windows laptops but feel almost identical in experience. Thanks to Chrome OS, which is a lightweight operating system, it’s fast, simple, secure, and powerful. It can handle most PC tasks.
There can be many reasons for resetting a Chromebook which depend on the user. This could be because the user wants to start over on the Chromebook, giving the Chromebook to someone, the Chromebook’s performance is slow, and many other similar reasons. Whatever your reason, you can follow this step-by-step guide to reset your Chromebook from the Settings or Sign In page.
Table of Contents
Important: Make sure to backup important files as Resetting Chromebook will remove everything. Also, make sure your Chromebook is either connected to a Power source or fully charged.
How to Reset Chromebook from Settings
This is the easiest method you can follow to reset your Chromebook. But if you have got your Chromebook from your organization and are unable to change Settings you can skip this method and move to the next method.
- Click or tap on the Launcher icon which is on the lower left.
- Open Settings from the apps list.
- Under Settings, expand the Advanced section.
- Scroll down and select Reset Settings.
- Now in the Powerwash section click on the Reset button.
- From the popup windows, select Restart.
Now your Chromebook will reset and restart. It will start from the beginning which means you need to set it up again.
How to Reset Chromebook from Sign-In Screen
If you want to factory reset your Chromebook but forgot your password, then you can follow this guide. This method also works if you have locked Chromebook from your organization, but after resetting you need to enroll it back to work organization related tasks.
- Power on your Chromebook.
- Now when it is on the Sign in screen, press Ctrl + Alt + Shift + R together.
- When you press the combination, a pop-up window will appear, click on Powerwash from the pop-up.
- In the next pop up confirm the powerwash which is the factory reset.
- Now, wait for the process and after reset your Chromebook will restart.
- Set up your Chromebook and start fresh.
How to Hard Reset Chromebook
If the hardware attached to your Chromebook is giving you a hard time, then you can perform a hard reset on your Chromebook. This can fix problems related to the keyboard, touchpad, etc. Here’s how to hard reset a Chromebook.
- At the bottom right corner, click on time.
- Now from the panel, click on the Power icon.
- On your Chromebook keyboard, press and hold Refresh, and while holding Refresh press the Power button. Release the Refresh button when your Chromebook starts up.
- If you have a Chromebook tablet, skip the last step and follow this one. Press and hold the Volume Up and Power buttons together for 10 seconds and then release them.
- This process will perform hard reset on your Chromebook device.
Applying a hard reset should fix most of the issues related to the hardware connected to your Chromebook.
So that’s all on how to reset Chromebook in three different ways. I hope you found the guide useful. In case of any queries, let us know in the comment section below.
Power up Chromebook: