Samsung Galaxy Watch 4 is the latest smartwatch series from Samsung. And it is the first watch series from Samsung which comes with the Android based WearOS. And this might be the best decision Samsung has made by switching to WearOS from TizenOS.
WearOS is great if you have an Android phone for seamless connectivity and more. It has all the important Google apps. And now the Google Assistant is also available for Galaxy Watch 4 and Galaxy Watch 4 running on WearOS 3.
Yes, the Google Assistant was not available in the Watch 4 series until now. As the Google Assistant is new to Galaxy Watch 4 and Galaxy Watch 4 Classic series, you may need help to enable it. And if you do, then this guide is for you. You no longer need to use Bixby assistant on your Galaxy Watch4 series.
How to Get Google Assistant on Galaxy Watch 4
First, we will take a look at how to download and install the Google Assistant on Samsung Galaxy Watch 4 or how to update it if already installed. As the Watch 4 comes with Play Store, installing, uninstalling, or updating an app is so much easier. This is going to be a familiar process and so it will not take much time. Before we head to the steps, make sure your Phone (paired with your Smartwatch) is connected to the Internet. And if you have an LTE Watch make sure it’s connected to the Internet.
How to Install Google Assistant:
As the Galaxy Watch 4 is an Android based smartwatch you can directly install apps similar to any Android phone. So all you need to do is go to this play store link from a web browser and install it on your Smartwatch directly from there. Or open the Play Store from App Drawer and search for Google Assistant. From the search result select Assistant and Install it on your Galaxy 4 Smartwatch.
You can also go to the given link on your phone which is connected to your Watch 4 and install the app directly from there for your Watch4. Or you can use the Galaxy Wearable app to access Play Store for Galaxy Watch 4 and install the Assistant app from there.
How to Update Google Assistant:
- Open the Play Store on your Samsung Galaxy Watch 4.
- Now find My Apps and open it.
- In My Apps, tap on Assistant which will be available under apps that have new updates.
- Then tap on Update and wait for it.
- Now you can find Google Assistant on your App Drawer. You can open it from there.
How to Set Google Assistant as Default Assistant
As Bixby is the default assistant on Galaxy Watch 4, you need to set the Google Assistant as the default assistant in order to use it on Smartwatch. It’s a very easy process. You can follow these steps to switch the default virtual assistant on your Galaxy Watch 4.
Set Google Assistant to Default:
- Go to Settings on your Smartwatch followed by Apps.
- Now tap on Choose default Apps > Digital Assistant App.
- And in the Default App select Assistant.
Assign Google Assistant Shortcut:
- Open Settings on your Galaxy Watch 4.
- Look for Advanced Features and open it.
- Now select Customize Keys. In Press and hold select Assistant.
Change Assistant Features:
You can also change Google Assistant features such as the Hey Google command to open Google Assistant, speech output, and more. Here are the steps to change its Settings.
- Open the Settings app on your Watch 4.
- Scroll down and select Google.
- Now open Assistant. Here you can change settings as per your preference.
Now when you use the shortcut to open a virtual assistant, the Google Assistant will open instead of Bixby. You can also trigger Google Assistant with the standard method and that is by saying ‘Hey Google’.