OnePlus phones come with premium specifications and performance. But with the OnePlus 8 series, they have moved to the flagship range, and they are no more flagship killers. The company has also increased the price a lot. But it’s worth the price as it provides a smooth experience, and its devices are as good as top-notch Samsung phones. And even better when it comes to OS. The OnePlus offers an experience like the stock Android but with extra useful features. But the one main feature is still missing that is Always on Display. Here you get to know How to get Always on Display on OnePlus phones.
The Always on Display introduced on OnePlus phone with OnePlus 6, but OnePlus pulled the feature back. As per the OnePlus, they did it because of battery life concerns. Now OnePlus has started a new thing where they take feedback from users that which feature they want the most. And many users have asked for the Always on Display. OnePlus decides to bring back the Always on Display feature after getting so many requests from users, but no official timeline shared by OnePlus when this feature is going to be available. But don’t worry, you can still get the Always on Display on OnePlus phones, and here you get to learn a simple method to enable AOD.
How to Enable Always On Display on OnePlus Phones
OnePlus packs with beautiful UI, which is inspired by the Cyanogen Mode that was famous a while back ago. Also, most of the tech enthusiast has hailed its performance and its clean UI.
OnePlus has a customization option in the Display Settings, where we can choose to enable clock option, which appears after locking the phone. But I have seen that many users think that this is the Always on Display. So here you should know that it’s not the Always on Display feature, this is entirely a different feature called Ambient Display, which shows the clock on the screen, and you can also choose the type on the clock on OnePlus. Although it gives a feel of Always on Display, but it lacks many features compared to AOD. Any way you can get the full working Always on Display on OnePlus Phones like OnePlus 8, OnePlus 8 Pro, OnePlus 7T, OnePlus 7T Pro, and others.
It is possible to get the Always on Display on OnePlus, but you need to have root access on your phone. Yes, it only works on rooted phones. If you don’t know the root procedure, then you can explore the Root section on our website. All thanks to the Quinny899 (XDA’s Recognized Developers) for making it possible. It’s tough to develop this type of features, especially if there is no open source code. If you want to appreciate him for his work, then visit his thread to donate or thanks him. Let’s start with the features of AOD mod for OnePlus.
OnePlus Always on Display Features:
- Always on display, which runs all the time – unlike the OnePlus version
- Customisable layout, with options including three digital clock styles, two word clocks and a DVD screensaver (it’s exactly what you think it is)
- Notification display, showing the text of a notification when you receive it and dropping back to just an icon after a few seconds
- Option to only display when you ‘raise’ your phone
- Option to hide the screen when flipped/in your pocket, disable it overnight, or after a time period (10 minutes or 15 seconds)
- Show your next alarm, current weather, and currently playing music
- Display a short message (like that on your lockscreen)
- Full settings GUI for the module with a live preview of your clock
Must Check | Download Google Camera 7.3 for OnePlus 8 & 8 Pro
- Take a full backup before the process (It will not delete data but its recommended)
- The phone must be rooted
- Make sure Magisk and Magisk Manager installed
- Download the latest version of OPAodMod APK [check for the latest version here]
Steps to Enable Always on Display on OnePlus Phones
- First, open the Magisk Manager on your phone. Click on the three bars and open Downloads. Search for Riru Core and install it. Then go to Modules and enable it.
- After the Riru Core, you need to install the EdXposed Canary build to support the Xposed Modules. You need to download the Canary build from the EdXposed app after installing it.
- Make sure to enable the EdXposed in the Magisk Module the same as you did for the Riru core.
- Now reboot your phone to activate the modules.
- Copy the OPAodMod apk (Always on Display module apk) to your phone and install it from the EdXposed module section (just like the Magisk).
- After installing the module, you need to enable it in EdXposed.
- Setup the Always On Display app according to your choice.
- Then reboot your phone, and you get working Always on Display on your OnePlus phone.
- You can toggle settings as per your requirement from the always on display settings.
This process can be used for any OnePlus phones, may not work with some older phones. If rooting is not the concern in your case, then go ahead and enjoy the AOD feature on your OnePlus phone. And if you don’t want to root your phone, then you might have to wait for a few months until they release the update with Always on Display.
You May Also Like | 10 Best Xposed Modules of All Time for Android Smartphones
The OPAodMod-v3.0 comes with burn-in protection that behaves like the ambient display. It means the clock (and other content) shifts from time to time by a few pixels on the screen. So you may notice some hit on battery consumption. But we can also get toggle option in the mode if you request to developer. Quinny899 has also mentioned that he is working to bring toggle options to remove or add a fingerprint icon in the Always on Display.
So there you have it the complete guide on how to enable Always on Display on OnePlus phone. It only works on a phone with Root access, so if you want to root your phone, then check out our root guide section. If you have any questions, then let us know in the comment section below. Enjoy Always on Display feature.