When it comes to owning TV sets with the best displays on the planet. The only brand that does it perfectly is none other than LG. LG has a wide range of smart TVs for every price range, resolution, and even screen size. As LG smart TVs run on a dedicated Operating System, it brings a lot of useful features. One of the best features of LG Smart TV is the ability to install apps. Here you will learn how to add apps to LG smart TV.
TVs are no longer used for only watching TV channels and their programs. There are so many uses for smart TVs thanks to the addition of features such as internet connectivity, smart audio, video, and even the inclusion of voice assistants to control the smart tv. But the most useful feature is the support for Apps that helps to run and control other features of a Smart TV.
There are plentiful apps available from various categories and almost every platform. LG TVs in particular run their own webOS software on all of their smart TVs. Having the ability to install apps gives end users the choice to choose from a variety of content that they would like to consume. Read along to know how to install apps on your LG smart TV.
How to Add Apps to LG smart TV
Since LG smart TVs do not have Android OS, you may find it difficult to download and install apps on LG Smart TVs. But don’t worry, after checking out this guide, you no longer be a peculiar LG TV user. There are two ways to install apps onto your LG smart TV. These methods should work easily with almost all LG smart TVs. So let’s start with the first method.
Method 1: Install apps from LG Content Store
The LG Content Store can be defined as the PlayStore for all LG TVs running webOS. The Store has a wide range of apps that you can install and choose from. To make things easier, here are the steps that you can follow to add apps to LG TV from the LG content store.
- Ensure that your LG smart TV has been connected to the internet.
- On your TV remote press the Home button.
- This will open up the LG Content Store.
- At the top of the screen, you will see the Apps category.
- Select it to bring in the list of apps available on the LG Content Store.
- Choose the app that you wish to add and press the install button.
- You can then launch the app on your LG Smart TV once it has been installed.
What happens if your LG TV storage becomes full? You can always plug in an external storage drive such as a USB to store your apps onto it. Do note that you will not be able to install apps. Sometimes, there could be apps that you wish to install on your LG TV but is not available in your country. So, what do you do? Well, the only way to get these apps is to change the LG Services country on your LG Smart TV. Here’s how to it:
- Head over to Settings on your LG Smart TV.
- Under settings go to all settings and then general.
- Choose Location and then LG Services Country.
- Now, choose the country that you wish.
- Once you have selected the country, it will ask you to accept the agreement. Read the agreement and then click on Yes.
- Your TV will now restart to make the changes.
- Once the TV restarts, simply head over to the LG Content Store and you will see new apps that you can browse through and add to your LG Smart TV.
Method 2: Install 3rd party apps on LG Smart TV
Right away you will not be able to install any 3rd party apps on the LG TV because it doesn’t run Android TV OS. However, if you have streaming devices such as an Amazon Firestick, Roku, Chromecast, or even Apple TV you can use the wide variety of apps that are available on the streaming device’s store. For reference, we will use Firestick for installing apps in this guide.
- Connect the FireStick into the HDMI port of your LG TV.
- Make sure to power on your TV as well as the FireStick.
- Most importantly, ensure that your TV has been connected to the internet.
- On the TV, switch to the input channel to which the FireStick has been connected.
- Now, log in with your Amazon account to gain access to the features of the FireStick.
- Browse through the various apps available in the Store and use them right away.
- You won’t be able to download the app, but rather stream its content right away.
If you have got a laptop around with you, you can always make use of the screencast or screen share feature and stream content from your laptop right onto your LG smart TV. Yes, you can also use your Smartphone to cast on LG smart TV.
So, this is how you can ass apps to LG Smart TC and stream popular movies, music, tv series, etc. Before downloading apps from the LG Content Store, make sure to check if you have enough storage space on your TV. If not, you can always delete some items or just plug in an external storage drive. Until LG takes the call to switch from webOS to Android TV OS, you won’t be able to sideload Android apps right away and will have to settle with apps from the LG content Store or use the FireStick to get apps on your TV.
There you have it, complete guide on how to download apps on LG Smart TV including third party apps. In case if you have any queries, let us know in the comment section.