Windows is a great OS because of the number of features and all the programs that are supported on it. We also know that it is simple and super easy to create folders and give them names. Do you know that there are a few names that cannot be assigned to a folder in Windows? You won’t be able to even delete folders. Wait, why? Well, these are special variables used by the system and Windows automatically prevents you from modifying them. There however is a way to set a folder to that particular name and even delete it. Read on to know more.
The Windows OS uses a variety of variable names that are designated to important files and folders that contain important information required for its functioning. Windows does this so that the user does not delete these files and folders by mistake. This is why at times you might have noticed that you aren’t able to save folders with a set of particular names such as CON, COM, AUX, etc. However, there is a way to create and delete these folders easily. This is the guide you will want to follow to know how to create and delete CON folders in Windows.
How to Create CON Folder in Windows
You might have noticed that trying to create a normal folder and naming it as CON will simply return you an error like the screenshot below.
You do not require any third-party program or software to create or for that matter delete such a folder. Follow these steps to create a folder named CON in Windows.
- Open the Run dialogue by pressing the Windows and R keys.
- Type in CMD in the search bar and hit the enter key.
- Now, with the Command Prompt window open simply paste the following line.
- Hit the enter key. You will now see a folder named con created in the C drive of your system.
- This will be an empty folder.
- You can repeat the same process to create other folders such as COM1, COM 2, AUX, etc.
How to Delete CON Folder in Windows
Now that you have the folder created, it is time to delete it. So, do you think simply pressing the delete key or selecting Delete from the right-click context menu would erase the folder? Nope/ You will have to make use of the good old Command Prompt once again for his. This is how you can delete the folder.
- Bring up the Run dialogue. You can do this by pressing the Windows and R keys simultaneously.
- Now, type in CMD and press the Enter Key.
- The Command Prompt will now open up on your desktop.
- Simply copy and paste this command line into the Command Prompt window.
- Once you have pasted the command line, hit the enter key.
- Now, navigate back to the directory where the con folder was created.
- You will notice that the folder no longer exists.
- It will be sitting in your Recycle Bin. You can delete it from there as well.
- You can delete the other folders as well by replacing con with COM, COM1, or AUX.
- You can use this method to delete any stubborn folders that are not being deleted when you press the delete key.
And this is how you can delete the folder named CON, COM1, COM2, AUX, etc. This is also the same way to create such folders that Windows will normally not let you do so. If you have any questions or queries, feel free to drop them in the comments section below.
More Related Articles: