A Remote is a necessary TV accessory to have. The remote lets you control every aspect of your smart TV. But, when a remote is lost, damaged, or simply no longer functioning, it can be a headache. Suppose you move to a new place and wanted to connect your TV to a wifi network, but can’t find the remote, what do you do? In this guide, we will be looking at the different ways to connect Philips TV to wifi without remote.
With Smart TVs around, people require that it connects to the wifi so that they can stream all of their favorite shows and movies. But, without being connected to the wifi network, the tv is useless, unless you have content to watch via your cable connection. So, if you have misplaced your remote, or waiting for a new one to arrive, this is the guide for you.
How to Connect Philips Smart TV to WiFi without Remote
There are many alternatives to connecting a TV to wifi without a remote. And I am going to share multiple methods so that you will have more options to try. In this way, the probability to achieve wifi connection to the tv will increase. Now let’s start with the easiest method.
1. Use the physical buttons
If your Philips Smart TV has more than two buttons, such as the volume up and down, channel up and down and the menu button, then you can press those buttons to navigate through the Settings on your TV to connect it to the wifi. The buttons are either present at the bottom, left, or right panels of your Phillips TV. If your TV only has the power and reset button, it would be ideal to follow the next step.
2. Connect a wired or wireless keyboard and mouse
Philips TVs running on Android TV OS has support for input devices such as keyboard and mouse. So, simply connect both devices to the USB ports present at the back or sides of your TV and use the arrow keys to navigate from the home screen to the Settings icon at the right. Or, you could use the mouse to click and go through the menus to connect your Philips TV to the wifi without a remote.
If you have the keyboard with a USB dongle, that would also work perfectly with your Philips Android TV. If you have a USB gaming controller, it would also help you in navigating through the settings to connect to the wifi network.
3. Use a device with Infrared to control the TV
A good number of Android devices, mostly older ones from Samsung, and Xiaomi have Infrared built into the device. With onboard Infrared, one can make use of the Infrared remote app on the device. Launch the app, and select the type of product as well as the brand. Simply point it to your TV and then after a couple of tries, you should be able to control your TV and connect to the Wifi network by using the infrared remote app on your mobile.
4. Use Android TV Remote App
Do note that this method will only work if your TV was previously connected to a wifi network. If it is a new TV, it would be advisable to follow the above-mentioned methods to connect the TV to your Wifi network without the remote.
For this method, you will require the following items
- 2 Android devices
- Name and password of the network that the TV previously connected to.
- Google TV app
Now that you have the necessary things, it’s time to connect the TV to the Wifi network.
- First, take the first mobile device and switch its hotspot on.
- Make sure to set the name and password of the hotspot to the previous network that your TV was connected to.
- Once the hotspot has been enabled, your TV should be able to connect to it.
- On your other device, download the Google TV app and connect it to the other device’s mobile hotspot.
- At the bottom right of the app, you will see a remote option. Tap on it.
- You will see the Scanning for devices option at the top of the screen. Make sure to tap on it.
- Soon, you should be able to see your Philips Smart TV. Select it.
- Once the TV has been paired with your mobile device, navigate to the Settings app and now connect it to your proper wifi network by entering the password.
- With the TV connected to the main wifi network, repeat the same on the device which has the Google TV app.
- Once the device has been paired, you can control your TV using the Google TV app right away.
5. Connect an Ethernet Cable
Some Android Smart TVs out there will be sporting a LAN port at the back or sides of the TV. You can simply connect one end of the ethernet cable to your router and the other end to your Smart TV. In this way, you will be able to access the internet.
This concludes the different ways you can follow to connect your Philips Smart TV to the wifi network without using a TV remote. It is recommended that you always have the Google TV app set up as soon as your purchase a new TV or move to another place with a different wifi network as this helps you not worry about losing the remote. If you have questions or queries, feel free to leave them in the comments section below.