In any given Windows OS, you will be required to have a user as an administrator to provide access to make changes to various elements on the system. A system can have more than one administrator who will manage everything on the system. Whether it is a school, college, work, or even various stores. Now, if you use a normal user account, you might have noticed that you wouldn’t be able to make changes to a lot of things and this could be annoying. So let’s find out how to change Administrator on Windows 11 PC.
Now, if you have had a new Windows system and signed in with a Microsoft account, you are already an administrator. However, if you just signed in with a standard regular user account then, you might want to get a Microsoft account. Since Windows 11 requires you to have a Microsoft account, you might as well go and create a Microsoft account right away. However, if you have just signed in with a standard account and don’t have any other users on the system here is a guide on how to change administrators in Windows 11.
How to Change Administrators on Windows 11
There are a few ways that you can use to change admins on a Windows 11 PC. The process is simple and easy to follow. Let’s get started.
Change User account type via Settings
If you’re the only user on your system and want to change from a standard to an administrator account, follow these steps.
- Open the Start Menu and click on the Settings app.
- Click on the Accounts option from the left panel.
- Now, select the Family and Other Users option.
- If you have not signed in with a Microsoft account, you can click on the Sign with Micorosft Account to become an administrator.
- But, if you are an administrator, then you can add a new user to become one.
- Simply click on other Users or add a new user.
- Set up their account and choose Change account type.
- A new window will show up where you can choose between Standard and Administrator accounts.
- Select Administrator and click on the OK button.
- So using these step you can add a user as an Administrator using the Settings app.
Change Administrator via Command Prompt
The Command Prompt is a much faster and better way to change administrator on a Windows 11 PC.
- Open the Start menu and type in Command Prompt.
- From the search results highlight it and click on the Run As Administrator option.
- The Command Prompt window will now open.
- Now, you need to paste this command
net localgroup Administrators "User Account name Here" /add
- Simply replace the User Account Name Here with the name of the account that you wish to make an Administrator.
- Once you have done that, simply hit enter. You have now added a new administrator to your Windows 11 PC.
- To remove a person from Administrator, simply replace add with delete and you are good to go.
Change Administrator using Windows Powershell
Windows Powershell is another great way to use command lines to get most of your work done. You can even use it to change administrators in Windows 11. Here is how you do it.
- With the Start Menu type in Windows Powershell and click on Run as Administrator.
- Now, copy and paste this code into the Powershell window.
Add-LocalGroupMember -Group “Administrators” -Member “User Account name Here”
- Just replace the User Account name here with the actual account name and then hit Enter.
- If you have the name correctly typed in, you are good to go.
- But, if you have some errors, Powershell will show that there are errors.
- You can also remove a person from being an administrator by replacing Add with Remove.
Change Administrator via Control Panel
The Control Panel is a popular way to add or change Administrators on a Windows PC. It has been the popular way since windows XP. here is how you can change Administrators on Windows 11.
- Type Control Panel in the Start menu and open it.
- You will now see the User Accounts section. Below that, in blue, you will see the change Account Type.
- Click on Change Account Type.
- It will now show you a list of available User Accounts on the system. Select the one that you wish to make as an Administrator.
- It will now open another window where you will be able to make a lot of changes to the account.
- Click on Change the account type.
- You can choose the Administrator radio button and click on the Change Account Type button.
- You have now changed your account type. You can also change other users’ account types only if you are an Administrator.
Change Administrator via User Accounts properties
This is the last and simple way you could use to change Administrators on your windows 11 PC. let’s take a look.
- Bring up the Run dialog box by pressing the Windows and R key on your keyboard.
- Type in netplwiz in the Open textbox and hit the Enter key.
- The user Accounts properties window now appears.
- If you have multiple users on your system, select the user account and click on the Properties button.
- Next, you will want to select the Group membership tab.
- You will see options to choose between standard and Administrator accounts.
- Choose Administrator and hit the Apply button.
- You have successfully changed the user’s account type and set them as an Administrator.
So, there you have it, five different ways for you to change and select Administrators on a Windows 11 PC. After reading this guide, we hope you have now learned how to change and add Administrators on Windows 11. Out of the 5 mentioned methods, which one is the easiest and fastest for you? Let us know in the comments below.
Windows 11 Guides: