Windows 11 lets you create user accounts and you get to choose whether you want to use a local account, administrative account, or for that matter even a work or school account. Now, when it comes to creating an account, you can easily choose the name of your account. The best part about setting up or changing your username on Windows? There are multiple ways to do that. In this article, you can check how to change your account username in Windows 11.
Thankfully, there are a good number of methods that you can follow to change the name of your user account on your Windows 11 PC. Apart from the basic method that everyone knows, there are other methods that you might have not known to let you change the username of your account.
Without wasting time, let’s get started.
Table of Contents
Change your Username via Control Panel
This is one of the most popular methods that everyone knows about. You see, whether you had an older Windows XP or any other Windows operating system device, the easiest way to change the username for your Windows account was via the Control Panel. If you are new to the Windows operating system, follow these steps to change the username for your Windows account.
- Open the Start Menu on your Windows 11 PC.
- Now, type in the Control Panel and click on it when it shows up in the results.
- Click on the User Accounts option.
- Now, choose the User Account that you wish to change the name for.
- Note that you can only change the usernames for local accounts Administrator accounts with a Microsoft account cannot change the usernames here.
- Once you have selected the local user account, click on the Change account name.
- Type in the new surname for the account and click on the Change name button.
- Once you sign out and sign in to your account, the new username will now be displayed.
Change Microsoft Account Name via Settings App
While a lot of users generally stick to using a Microsoft Account with their Windows 11 PC, it becomes easier to rename the said Microsoft account on your Windows 11 PC. Here are the steps.
- Click on the Start Menu and select the Settings app.
- With the Settings app open, click on Account from the left-hand sidebar.
- Now the Accounts page should open up on the Settings app.
- Click on the Your Info option.
- Under Related Settings, select the Manage My Account option.
- The default web browser will now open up and you will be taken to the Microsoft Accounts page.
- Here, you select the Your Info tab and choose the Edit Name option.
- You can now type in the new first and last name for your Microsoft account.
- Complete the captcha and click on the blue Save button. Your account name has now been changed.
- To see the new username of your Windows 11 PC, simply restart the computer. The username will now be displayed when you are signing into your account.
Change Username via Computer Management
Note: This will only work if you have a local account on your Windows 11 PC. if you only have a Microsoft Account, you will not be seeing any of the below options and menus in the Computer Management window.
- Open the Start menu and search for Computer Management
- Once you see the app from the search results, click on it.
- On the left side, you will see the System Tools option.
- Expand the System Tools option and choose Local Users and Groups.
- Finally, select the Users folder.
- On the right side, select the user account and right-click on it.
- From the context menu, choose the Rename option.
- Here you will be able to change the username for the existing local user account on your Windows 11 PC.
Change your Username via Netplwiz
You can also make use of the old-school method to change the user name for your Windows 11 local user account.
- On your desktop, press the Windows and R keys.
- The Run dialog should appear.
- In the text box, type in Netplwiz and hit the enter key.
- A list of all the local user accounts will now be displayed.
- Select the user account that you wish to rename.
- Click on the Properties button.
- With the Properties window opens, select the General tab.
- You can now enter the new Username as well as the Full Name of the selected account.
- Click on the OK button to save the changes.
- The account will now display the new username.
This includes the guide on how you can easily change the username on your Windows 11 PC. Whether you plan to change the name of your Microsoft user account or your Windows 11 local user account, you can do it easily.
If you have questions or queries, feel free to leave them in the comments section below.
- How to Access BIOS Menu on Windows 11 PC [3 Methods]
- How to add a new User in Windows 11 [All Methods]
- How to transfer files between Android and Windows using Nearby Share
- How to Apply Live Wallpapers on Windows 11 PC [3 Methods]
- How to enable Tabs in Notepad on any Windows 11
- 33 Essential Windows 11 Tips and Tricks to Master Windows OS
- How to Optimize Windows 11 for Gaming (15 Ways)