If you are using the IDM download manager on PC but the extension is missing on chrome then check out how to add IDM Extension in chrome, Mozilla, and Opera.
Downloading is one of the tasks that we do in day to day usage of the Internet. We get to download different types of file and to download these files we need a download manager. Chrome and other browsers come with inbuilt download manager but from my experience, they are good for download small size files, but when it comes to big size file we can’t trust inbuilt download manager. In browsers, there are options for pause and resume but that doesn’t work properly so in this case, IDM is the best option.
What is IDM Extension
IDM is an Internet Download Manager for downloading files and managing downloaded files. And to integrate IDM to Chrome, Mozilla or Opera, IDM Extension is required. IDM Extension finds URL of files which a user wants to download then the IDM extension sends URL to the IDM and then users are able to download it from IDM on Chrome or any other browser.
IDM Extension is a part of IDM which usually adds automatically in browsers after installing IDM. But sometimes due to different reasons the IDM extension does not add on browsers automatically so we need to add IDM extension to chrome (or other browsers) manually.
How to add IDM extension in Chrome
After installing the IDM you can find the IDM extension for chrome in the installation directory. Mostly the location of IDM extension is C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Download Manager. Now that you know the location of IDM extension for chrome you should also know how to install IDM extension on chrome. This method is not just for chrome, it will also work with Mozilla and Opera browser.
- Open Google Chrome browser or another browser on PC.
- Click on three dots on the top right. Then go to More tools > extensions.
- Now go to the location where IDM is installed. In my case, it is C:/Program Files(x86)/Internet Download Manager.
- Inside internet download manager folder look for IDMGCExt.crx file (available above IDMGrHlp File).
- Select the IDMGCExt file and drag & drop in the Google Chrome Extension page.
- It will prompt for permission, click on Add Extension. This will add IDM extension to Chrome.
- If it shows an error “Attempted to downgrade extension” or “Apps, extensions, and user scripts cannot be added from this website“. Then install IDM extension from Chrome Web Store.
How to Install IDM Extension from Chrome Web Store
In case the error occurs then first you have to download the IDM module on chrome. Adding module on chrome web store is easy.
- Go to the Chrome Web Store.
- Click on Add to Chrome to add IDM module.
- In pop-up click on Add Extension.
- After this, the IDM Extension will be added in Chrome.
Now that you have successfully installed IDM on Chrome. To make the IDM Extension work properly check out these settings.
1) Go to Extension page in Chrome and make sure that IDM Extension is ON.
2) To make it work on Incognito Mode click on Details. And then turn on “Allow in Incognito”.
3) Open IDM, go to options and then tick all the browsers.
If you don’t want to Add extension in your Browser just copy the link of a downloadable file and paste it in IDM. It let you download the file. I hope this meets with the information you were looking for.
- How to Resume Non-Resumable file in IDM
- How to Solve Could Not Move Extension Directory into Profile in Chrome
I hope this article was helpful to you. If you have any queries regarding IDM extension then you can ask in comment section or in Facebook.