Windows 11 is one of the most feature-rich operating systems that Microsoft has created. Sure it still is taking time to take over the market share of Windows 10. Depending on who uses your PC or laptop, you can easily add one or more accounts to your Windows 11 PC. Whether you want to create a local or administrator account will again determine how you should proceed.
So, if you are completely new to Windows 11 or someone that wants to share the computer with another person or family member, here’s a step-by-step guide on adding another user on Windows 11 PC. One of the good things about adding a new user account on Windows 11, is that there are a good number of ways that you can follow to add a new account.
But, before we talk about the various ways to add a new user account in Windows 11. Let’s look at the type of accounts that you can choose from in Windows 11.
Table of Contents
Types of Windows User Accounts in Windows 11
Windows 11 gives you the option to choose between two account types. You can choose to either use a local Account or you can choose an Administrator account.
A local account on Windows 11 is a simple plain user account that lets you do everything, except make changes to certain settings, install programs, and not be able to make changes to everything.
These types of accounts are good, especially for people who might either be children, elderly members, or people who don’t know much about using a Windows PC. To make any important installations or changes on your PC with a local account, you will have to enter a password that has been set by the administrator account on the Windows PC.
An administrative user account is similar to a local account, but you get all the access and privileges to make changes, install or remove programs and user accounts, and also be able to adjust settings for a local account. You can also easily remove a local user account from your Windows PC.
How to add a new user to Windows 11 PC
Did you know that there are multiple ways for you to create or add a new user account to your Windows 11 PC? You can choose whichever method works best for you to add a new user to your Windows 11 PC.
Let’s get started.
Add user account via Settings App
This is the first and most common method to add a user to your Windows PC. This method lets you choose between setting up a local account or an administrative account.
- Open the Settings app on your Windows 11 PC.
- Click on Account from the sidebar menu.
- Choose the Other Users option from the right-hand side.
- Now, click on the button that says Add account.
- A popup window will now appear.
- If you want to create an administrative account, you can choose to sign up or sign in with a Microsoft account.
- Else, you can click on I Don’t have this person’s sign-in information. This lets you create a local account for the user right away
- Once you have selected the type of account, you can now enter a username and a password.
- The password will be compulsory with the administrative account. For a local account, it is not mandatory.
Add a New School or Work Account
If you are someone that is using a Windows 11 PC that is tied either to your school or your work organization, you can easily add a new Microsoft user account to such Windows 11 PCs. Here are the steps.
- Open the Start Menu and click on the Settings app icon.
- Click on the Accounts option from the Sidebar menu on the left.
- With the Accounts page open, scroll down and click on Access Work or School.
- At the top, you should see an Add Work or School Account.
- Click on the button that says Connect.
- Here you will be able to add the details of your new work or school account or simply sign in with the right account details.
Add User Account via Netplwiz
This method directly takes you to the User Account window where you can easily add a new user within seconds. Here is how you can get started.
- Open the Windows Run command by pressing the Windows and R keys.
- Now, enter in netplwiz and hit the enter key.
- The User Accounts window will now pop up on your screen.
- Click on the button that says Add.
- You can now choose between setting up a local account or a Microsoft user account.
Add a Local Account via Windows PowerShell
You can make use of command lines in Windows to create a local user account. That can be done by making use of Windows PowerShell, Windows Terminal, or even Command Prompt. The steps are the same no matter what command line program you use to make a local account.
- Open the command line program of your choice. But make sure to run it as an administrator.
- Now, type in the following command: net user User Name Password.
- Replace the User Name with the name of the user’s account and Password with a password for the user’s account.
- Hit the enter key and a new local user account will be created on your Windows 11 PC.
This concludes the guide on how you can easily set up a new user account whether a local one or an administrative one on your Windows 11 PC. You can also choose to set up a new user account when you install or set up Windows 11 on your PC for the first time. There is an option to start right away with a Microsoft account or simply to go ahead with a local account right off the bat.
If you have questions or queries, feel free to drop them below.