WhatsApp backup is one of the useful and handy tools to get saved your chats for a long time. But, from now onwards you can be only able to store backups in Google Drive. So, Here’s the step by step guide on, How to Backup WhatsApp Chats & restore from Google Drive.
WhatsApp renders you the option to save all of your chats with media in the cloud. Also, Google promises to store all WhatsApp media or backup freely on Google Drive, won’t cost you any more. In the new update, WhatsApp has announced that all the chats & media will be removed from the user’s who haven’t backed up data on Google Drive. That’s why it’s essential to save WhatsApp backup on Google Drive.
Without wasting time, backup all your chats on Google Drive Now!
Note: The method only works on Android as we’re talking about Google Drive. We used WhatsApp version 2.18.349 to complete this guide. On iPhone, You can store backup on iCloud.
How to Backup WhatsApp Chats in Google Drive
- Update your WhatsApp to the latest version. It’ll help you to make it fast.
- Open WhatsApp & tap on three dots menu icon, then head over to Settings > Chats.
- Tap on Chat backup option and navigate to Back up to Google Drive option you can take backup Daily, Weekly, Monthly, or even Yearly.
- Choose a Google Account you want to save the backup, from the Account section. You can also add a new account if you’re going to save it on a different account.
- Once done, Tap on the Backup button to save your backup immediately, make sure to tap on it if you’re doing it for the first time. Also, If you choose ‘Only when I tap Back Up’ under settings option, then it is an obvious need to backup all chats in Google Drive.
- That’s it.
As we back up all the chats, it is must to know how to restore WhatsApp chat backup from Google Drive. Well, the process is straightforward.
How to Restore WhatsApp Backup from Google Drive
- Download WhatsApp on your mobile, from play store.
- Open WhatsApp, then Enter your phone number & tap on next.
- Now verify your number via OTP.
- After verification, It’ll show you all the backups available on your Google Drive, If you’ve backed up, then it shows. Now tap on restore, to restore the backup.
- Once the process completed, tap on next button & start using your account.
- That’s it.
Once restored, you can delete the backup from Google Drive if you want. You can easily remove the backup from the drive. Let’s see the process.
How to Delete WhatsApp Backup from Google Drive
- At first, Log in to your Google Account on PC or Phone.
- Under Google Drive, Tap on the Backups available on the left side of the sidebar.
- Here all the WhatsApp Backups are available.
- You can choose the one which is not needed anymore and delete accordingly.
- That’s it.
Well, Google removes the limit of storage for saving WhatsApp chats and Media. So, If you think the backups are needed, then you can keep it in your Google Drive. While you can delete some old backups, if available.
See Also: 30 Best WhatsApp Tricks of 2018
If you want to check the WhatsApp backups, open Google Drive & tap on Backups option. Same Like this:
So, If you do not wish to lose your WhatsApp data. Make sure to take backup of WhatsApp Chats on Google Drive. Once you backed up your chats, share this article with your friends too, if they don’t know WhatsApp start removing the backups.
More Related to WhatsApp: