Last month, Google officially released the Android 13 stable update for the Pixel phones. And now is the time for the first incremental software upgrade. Usually, Google kicks off the security updates on the first Monday of the month. However, as there was Labor day on Monday in the US, the firm delayed the update to Tuesday. So, the first Android 13-based incremental update is out in the form of a September 2022 update. If you own a Google Pixel 4 or up, then read along to know more details about the update.
This month’s update addresses a list of issues that came with the Android 13 update. As the name suggests, the update will also bump up the monthly security patch version to September 2022. Google has officially shared details of the new software on the Pixel support page. And as per the details, the update is currently available for Pixel 4, Pixel 4 XL, Pixel 4a, Pixel 4a 5G, Pixel 5, Pixel 5a 5G, Pixel 6, and Pixel 6 Pro. Yes, currently, it is not available for the newly released Pixel 6a, it will be released later this month.
As per the release notes, Google addresses the Biometric Authentication aka Fingerprint issue on the Pixel 6a, and will also improve the response time. The update addresses the battery draining issues caused by certain launcher background activities, fixes the issue where wireless charging not activating in some conditions, fixes the Bluetooth connectivity bug, and the issue where notifications are not visible properly on the lock screen. Here’s the complete changelog.
Google Pixel September 2022 update – What’s New
- What’s included
- The September 2022 update includes bug fixes and improvements for Pixel users – see below for details.
- Battery & Charging
- Fix for issue occasionally causing increased battery drain from certain launcher background activities
- Fix for issue preventing wireless charging mode to activate in certain conditions *
- Additional improvements for fingerprint recognition and response in certain conditions *
- Fix for issue occasionally preventing certain Bluetooth devices or accessories from connecting
- User Interface
- Fix for issue occasionally causing notifications to appear truncated on the lock screen
- Fixes are available for all supported Pixel devices unless otherwise indicated below.
- * Included on Pixel 4, Pixel 4 XL, Pixel 5, Pixel 6 & Pixel 6 Pro
- * Included on Pixel 6a
Google kicks off the new software to the Pixel phones with TP1A.220905.004 build number. The update is rolling in a staged manner, you will receive the September 2022 update OTA notification once available on your device, you can tap on it and download the update or simply head over to the Settings > System > Advanced > System update and install the new software.
Additionally, you can manually install the September 2022 update on your Google Pixel phone by sideloading the update. The factory images and OTA files of the September update are already available. But make sure to take a backup before sideloading the new software.