It is the first Monday of the month, which means a new security update for Pixel phones. Google has officially released the Pixel October update for eligible phones. This is the last software upgrade for the Pixel 4 and Pixel 4 XL. As always, the incremental upgrade brings the new October 2022 monthly security upgrade, known issues fixes, and enhancements. If you own the Pixel 4 or newer, then read along to know more details about the latest software.
As always, Google officially shared details of the new incremental update on its Pixel support page, mentioning a new build is rolling to the eligible Pixel phones with a TP1A.221005.002 build number (TP1A.221005.003 for Pixel 6a). Just like the other incremental Pixel updates, it is a small update weighing only 39.16MB in size. For availability, the update is available for Pixel 4, Pixel 4 XL, Pixel 4a, Pixel 4a 5G, Pixel 5, Pixel 5a 5G, Pixel 6, Pixel 6 Pro, and Pixel 6a.
Talking about the changes, then the new software addresses the launcher crash issue while connecting to a VPN, compatibility issues with certain apps widgets, default media player icon showing in certain apps, device crashing issue when playing audio from local storage, empty quick tiles in the notification shade, and also fixed some Audio related issues and WiFi issues. Here’s the complete list of changes.
Google Pixel October update – What’s New
- Fix for issue occasionally causing audible humming or noise artifacts during calls while using wired headsets [Included on Pixel 4, Pixel 4 XL, Pixel 4a, Pixel 4a (5G), Pixel 5 and Pixel 5a (5G)]
- Fix for issue preventing device volume controls in media player notification to work under certain conditions
- Fix for issue causing launcher crash when connecting to VPN in certain conditions
- User Interface
- Fix for issue causing compatibility issues with certain app widgets in Android 13
- Fix for issue causing media player to display default icon for certain media apps
- Fix for issue occasionally causing device crash when playing audio from local storage
- Fix for issue occasionally causing empty Quick Settings tiles to display in notification shade
- Fix for issue occasionally causing Work Profile toggle button to appear truncated in app drawer
- Fix for issue occasionally preventing available Wi-Fi networks from displaying in network selection menu in certain apps
The update is rolling in a staged manner, you will receive the October 2022 update OTA notification once available on your device, you can tap on it and download the update or simply head over to the Settings > System > Advanced > System update and install the new software.
Additionally, you can manually install the September 2022 update on your Google Pixel phone by sideloading the update. The factory images and OTA files of the September update are already available. But make sure to take a backup before sideloading the new software.