Apple is better than any other smartphone company when it comes to updates. iPhone or iPads that launched 4-5 years ago also get updates similar to the latest iPhones. And more interesting is that users can easily update iPhones or iPads through iTunes. But sometimes, it becomes frustrating when we get the error while updating through iTunes. Errors like ‘There was a problem downloading the software for the iPhone‘ or ‘There was a problem downloading the software for the iPhone 9006’. But don’t worry you can easily fix these errors and here in this guide, we will share 8 methods for fixing the error.
Mostly the error appears when users are trying to install the update manually with IPSW files. You may also get related errors such as ‘there was a problem downloading the software for the iPhone an unknown error occurred (-39)’, ‘network connection was reset’ or ‘network connection timed out.’ And for all the errors, the fixes are almost similar. There are many reasons for the error, which we have listed below.
Reasons for the error ‘There was a problem downloading the software for the iPhone’
The list of reasons for these errors is long, and you should avoid these. Check the below reasons, which are the cause of the error.
- Network connection timed out
- iPhone Disk/Space is full
- Not enough access privilege
- The network connection was reset
- Requested resource not found
- could not be restored an unknown error occurred
- Third-party security software
- iPhone/iPad running on iOS Beta
Related errors can appear while restoring the device, syncing, creating a backup, and other activities that we perform using iTunes. So if you come across any error related to ‘there was a problem downloading the software for the iPhone’ then follow the methods given in this guide to fix the error.
Fix ‘There was a problem downloading the software for the iPhone’
Anyone could tell that any interruption, even the small error is so frustrating. And you have to take effective steps so that the error could be fixed. We managed to found some effective methods that will lead you to fix the errors.
1) Delete the old IPSW File and Download New File
It might be possible that the error is appearing due to the IPSW file defective or not downloaded correctly. So, in this case, what you can do is delete the IPSW file and download it again. You can follow the below steps to delete and download the IPSW file. For Windows PC refer to above image.
- Open Finder on your Mac.
- Hold the Option button, then select the Go menu and click on the Library option. You can now release the Option button.
- Look for the iTunes folder and open it.
- Inside the folder, locate iPhone Software Update/iPad Software Update/iPod Software Update. Depending on which device you are trying to update.
- In the Software update, you will find XXXX_Restore.ipsw file, delete the file.
After deleting the file, you can now download the IPSW file and update your Apple device without getting the error ‘there was a problem downloading the software for the iPhone.’
2) Remove iTunes from Firewall’s Block List
If you are using iTunes on a Windows PC with Firewall enabled. Then you have to check and make sure the iTunes is not in the block list. And if it is in the block list, remove it.
- Open Control Panel on your Windows PC.
- Then navigate to Windows Defender Firewall > Allow an app or feature through Windows Defender Firewall.
- Make sure that iTunes and Apple related software are marked check. If not marked, then check the box.
After allowing the iTunes, try again to update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod. This time it should work. Even if the above two methods didn’t work, then follow the next methods and fix ‘there was a problem downloading the software for the iPhone 9006’.
3) Boot your Apple Device to DFU Mode
If you receive an error message, ‘there was a problem downloading the software for the iPhone. The requested resource was not found’. Then this method will help you to fix the issue and update your phone without any problem. To boot your Apple device into DFU Mode, follow the below steps.
- Connect your iPhone/iPad/iPod to your computer via USB cable.
- Press and hold Home and Power buttons together.
- After 10 seconds, release the Power button but keep holding the Home button.
- The iPhone/iPad/iPod will boot into DFU Mode. Now you can update from iTunes.
The above procedure is only for the Apple phones that have a Home button. For iPhones that do not have a Home button, the method is different to boot into DFU Mode.
You May Also Like | How to Fix iPhone X Stuck on Loading Circle [iPhone Black Screen Spinning Wheel]
4) Disable Third-Party Security Software
We all want to protect our system from external threats, and we end up using third-party security software. These security software are good but also affects the system in different cases. Also, the security software can be the main cause for the error ‘there was a problem downloading the software for the iPhone.’
So if you have any third-party security software installed on your Windows or Mac PC, then first disable or uninstall it. The next time you try to update your Apple phone, you will not get the error anymore.
5) Shifting Hosts File to a Different Location
Hosts file could also be the reason for causing the error while restoring or updating an Apple device via iTunes. So, in this case, you may try changing the hosts file location and then perform the required activity through iTunes. Follow the below steps to get it clear.
- In your Windows PC, go to the location C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc.
- Look for hosts file, you can easily find it as there are only a few files.
- Cut the hosts file and paste it in some different location. For convenience paste, the hosts file in Desktop.
- Now perform the restoration or update from iTunes.
- After completion, copy the hosts file to its original location (C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc).
If you still getting ‘there was a problem downloading the software for the iPhone’ error, then we have a few more methods that you can follow.
6) Reset TCP/IP (Internet Protocol)
TCP/IP can be the major cause to lead into ‘network connection was reset’ or ‘network connection timed out’ error. So resetting the TCP/IP could help you to fix the issue while restoring or updating your Apple Phone.
You can reset the TCP/IP through NetShell or command window. To reset the TCP/IP through NetShell, follow this link. Follow the below steps to reset it through CMD.
- Open CMD or Command window as an administrator on your computer.
- In the Command window enter the below command to reset TCP/IP (use the command in the next step if you don’t want to specify log file)
netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt
- In case if you don’t want to specify the directory path or log file then enter the below command in place of the above command.
netsh int ip reset
- After the TCP/IP reset, restart your computer.
7) Use Different Network Connection
It might be possible that the error ‘there was a problem downloading the software for the iPhone the network connection was reset’ is appearing due to the current network connection. So changing the network connection in your computer could fix the issue.
You can simply change the Network Connection with the default method. After changing the connection, try restoring and updating from iTunes.
8) Factory Reset
At last, when nothing worked out for you, i will suggest doing a Factory Reset. I know you don’t want to do a factory reset that’s why i put this method at last. If you are in this step, then it means the above methods didn’t work. So now you have to perform a Factory Reset of your Apple device.
You can go to Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings for iPhone/iPad factory reset. Once you do the factory reset, you would be able to restore or update your phone.
So there you have it the complete guide on how to fix ‘there was a problem downloading the software for the iPhone’ with 8 different methods. I hope that you have already fixed the error. If you have any queries, do let us know in the comment section.
Related to iPhone: