Web browsers are important tools that help you browse the internet. Every device out there has its own web browser – whether it’s preinstalled or your personal favorite one. With regards to Apple devices including Macs, the default web browser in these devices is Safari. Safari is indeed a very good web browser as it works flawlessly. However, there can be times when it might not work right. One of the most common issues that the Safari Web browser runs into is when it can’t find the server. If you are someone that has an Apple device and uses Safari as your main web browser, this is the guide for you to solve this issue.
Now, when Safari popup this message, there can be many reasons as to why it’s showing you this message. The bad part is you won’t be able to browse the particular web page. Well, the good part about this is the fact that you can easily fix this issue. You can read through this guide to know how you can solve the issue when Safari says Safari Can’t find the server.
Fix Safari Can’t Find the Server Issue
There are multiple ways you can try to fix the issue when Safari Can’t find the Server message. So, feel free to try any of the methods that have been mentioned in order to solve this issue.
Restart your Device
The most simple and popular troubleshooting method that is universally followed by everyone is to restart the device. Simply press and hold the volume and power button to slide across and restart the device. Older devices can press and hold the power button followed by dragging the slider to restart.
Check Your Internet Connections
Whether you are on mobile data or on WiFi, internet connections at times can be spotty. So, if you feel like a particular web page does not load and Safari throws up the Can’t find server message, it might be best to check your internet connectivity. Switch from mobile data to wifi or vice versa and see if the problem persists. If so, you might have to try out the next solution.
Ensure that the link is correct
If you might have been in a hurry to type in the website link or copied the link incorrectly, there are high chances that Safari would simply display the cant reach server message. So, always check and even, double-check the links for any spelling mistakes. It would also be advisable to check for the links to be properly formatted, as incorrectly formatted links will refuse to open.
Reload the Webpage
Now, this is similar to the first troubleshooting method that we mentioned. Well, as we said earlier, if you have a spotty internet connection, there are high chances of your webpage not loading at all because of poor coverage or super slow internet speeds. A quick reload of the webpage should help fix this issue.
Use a VPN Service
While there are a ton of websites for you to browse through using Safari, there can be a possibility of a few websites that have been blocked by your carrier or your ISP. These websites could be blocked either for reasons or simply just blocked out of the blue. If it is a website that you would regularly visit and get access to, it would be advisable to install a VPN and then visit the particular web page. If it does open, it could be that your website has been blocked and the only way to access it is by using a VPN.
Clear Safari Cache and Data
Just like a number of apps out there, Safari relies on the cache files and data that has been stored by it to load up the websites that you frequently visit. Sometimes, there could be a problem with the cache files which contributes to Safari displaying the Can’t Connect to Server message. Clearing the cache files and data is a troubleshooting method you can follow to fix this issue.
Do note that when you clear the cache and files, you will lose all data that is stored in Safari. This will include your history, saved passwords, and bookmarks. You will be able to restore the data provided you sign in with the same account that was previously used with Safari. You can follow the steps mentioned below to clear the cache files and data from Safari.
- Open the Settings app on your device.
- Scroll and select Safari from the list.
- With the Safari page open, all you need to do is tap on Clear History and Website Data.
- All the data and cache files will now be cleared from your Web Browser.
- Simply launch Safari and visit the website that you weren’t able to visit earlier.
- You should now be able to load the website and browse through it without any problems.
Check your DNS Settings
There are many reasons why you might want to change the DNS settings on your device. It could either be for faster connections, blocking unwanted content or just to have better protection. If you feel like the DNS settings that have been set up automatically arent perfect and you keep getting the Can’t connect to server message on Safari, it might be time to change the DNS Settings on your device. Follow these steps.
- Open the Settings app.
- Now, tap on WiFi.
- You will now see all the available wifi networks as well as the WiFi Network that you are currently connected to.
- Next to the network that you are connected to, you will see a small icon. Tap on the icon.
- You should see an option that says Configure DNS. Tap on it.
- If the DNS is set to Automatic, tap on Manual.
- Tap on the Add Server option.
- Over here you will be able to enter in any valid DNS that is publicly available.
- Or, you can simply enter 184.108.40.206 or 220.127.116.11 which is DNS Server for Google.
- Tap on the Save button and reload the web page on Safari. You should now be able to launch the webpage without the error message popping up.
Reset Network Settings
If you feel like some of the network setting that you might have made changes to are incorrect or you simply want to revert back to the default settings, Resetting your network settings should work perfectly.
- Launch the Settings app on your Apple device.
- Now, tap on General.
- Scroll and you should see an option that says Reset Network Settings.
- Tap on it. It will now ask if you confirm resetting your network settings. Simply tap on Confirm and your network settings have been reset to default.
- Now, connect your device to the internet and reload the webpage that wouldn’t load on Safari.
- You should now not have any issues or problems whatsoever.
Check for Updates
Updating your device software to the latest available version should help fix any bugs or issues with the device itself as well as the apps including Safari. Since Safari is a preinstalled app, it usually gets updated along with the OS. Here is how you can check for updates on your device.
- Open Settings on your iOS device.
- Now, tap on General.
- And finally, tap on Software Update.
- If there are any updates available tap on Download and install. The updates should now be downloaded and installed onto your device.
- Now, check and reload the web page on Safari. It should now be working as expected.
Switch to another browser
If you feel like none of the above troubleshooting methods worked, it would be time to switch to a better web browser. You can choose between Microsoft Edge, Mozilla Firefox, or even Google Chrome. If the particular websites load up correctly in other web browsers, then you already know what you should be switching to.
Reset your device
If for any reason whatsoever you only prefer to use Safari as your go-to web browser, it might be worth trying to perform a factory reset on your device to see if the issue repairs itself.
- Open the Settings app and tap on General.
- Now, select the transfer or Reset iPhone option.
- And finally, choose Reset.
- All you need to do now is tap on Erase All Content.
- Your iPhone will now begin to rest itself. The reset process can take some time.
- Once the rest has been completed, complete the one-time setup and finally launch Safari.
- You should now be able to use Safari without any issues and neither be seeing the Can’t connect to server message.
These are the various troubleshooting methods that you can follow to solve the issue with Safari displaying the Can’t connect to server message. We hope at least one of the methods that have been mentioned above helps you solve the issue. If you have any queries or questions, feel free to leave them in the comments below.