Apple finally releases the much-awaited and most leaked OS version of this year, iOS 16. At the WWDC event, Apple announced a bunch of new OS versions like iOS 16, iPadOS 16, watchOS 9, macOS 13, and more. But iOS 16 and iPadOS 16 are the two most interesting OS from the event.
Update: Apple finally released the iOS 16 Public Beta. This means anyone with eligible iPhones or iPads can test the iOS 16 and iPadOS 16 without a developer account. Check out the full guide for installation instructions.
Just after the Apple Keynote session, Apple released the first beta of iOS 16 and iPadOS 16. But it is available to developers only, and the public beta is expected in July (available now) at the time when the third developer beta will be available.
I assume you have been waiting for the iOS 16 and iPadOS 16 for a long time. And why you shouldn’t, the new iOS 16 comes with so many new features including some most awaited features like lock screen customization. And now that it’s available as developer beta and public beta, you can now get it on your iPhone. Here we will share how to download and install iOS 16 Beta and iPadOS 16 beta on eligible iPhones and iPads respectively.
So let’s start the guide with some managed steps.
iOS 16 and iPadOS 16 Eligibility
Soon after the iOS 16 announcement, Apple also shared the eligibility for iOS 16. The iOS 16 eligibility is different from what we all expected. iOS 16 drops support from five iPhones. If you are using old iPhones then unfortunately you will not be able to get iOS 16. You can check the iOS 16 supported iPhones.
iOS 16 Supported Devices List:
- Upcoming iPhone series (iPhone 14)
- iPhone 13
- iPhone 13 mini
- iPhone 13 Pro
- iPhone 13 Pro Max
- iPhone 12
- iPhone 12 mini
- iPhone 12 Pro
- iPhone 12 Pro Max
- iPhone 11
- iPhone 11 Pro
- iPhone 11 Pro Max
- iPhone Xs
- iPhone Xs Max
- iPhone Xr
- iPhone X
- iPhone 8
- iPhone 8 Plus
- iPhone SE (2nd generation)
- iPhone SE (3rd generation)
iPhone SE 1st Gen, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 7, and iPhone 7 Plus are no longer supported for new major iOS updates.
iPadOS 16 Supported Devices List:
- iPad (5th generation and later)
- iPad mini (5th generation and later)
- iPad Air (3rd generation and later)
- iPad Pro models (All)
If you have an iPhone or an iPad from the eligible list and want to try the new iOS 16 beta or iPadOS 16 Beta, follow the steps given below.
I assume you have already taken a full backup of your device using either iCloud or the local backup using iTunes or Finder. We recommend taking a local backup. You can downgrade to iOS 15.5 without losing data if you have a backup.
How to Install iOS 16 Public Beta
If you don’t have a developer account then you can install the public beta on your device as it is finally available. The process is simple. Follow the given steps.
Download iOS 16 Public Beta Profile
- Open the Apple beta program page on your browser.
- Now sign in with your Apple ID and select iOS and tap on enroll your iOS device. iPadOS in case you have an iPad.
- In the second option i.e. Install Profile, tap on the Download Profile button.
- You will receive a popup, tap on Allow.
Install iOS 16 Beta Profile
- When the profile is downloaded, open Settings on your iPhone/iPad.
- On the Settings page, you will see Profile Downloaded option, tap on it. If it’s not available on top then you can find it in General > VPN & Device Management > Profile Downloaded.
- Now on the Profile page, tap on Install in the top right corner.
- It will now install on your device.
Download and Install iOS 16 Public Beta
Now you are almost done and ready to download the latest public beta. Let’s see the remaining steps to install public beta.
- Make sure you have at least 10GB of free space.
- After that go to Settings > General.
- Now go to the Software Update page.
- It will show the latest iOS 16 Public Beta.
- Tap on Download and Install button to begin the downloading.
- And after a restart, you can enjoy the latest iOS 16 Public Beta.
How to Install iOS 16 Developer Beta
Get Developer Account
Since iOS 16 and iPadOS 16 are currently available only to developers, you need a developer account to get iOS 16 beta and iPadOS 16 beta.
The public beta of iOS 16 and iPadOS 16 will be available in July probably with the third developer beta. You can also create a developer account, it is paid.
If you have the Apple developer account, you can proceed with the next step.
Download iOS 16 Developer Beta profile (configuration profile)
To get the latest iOS 16 Dev Beta and iPadOS 16 Dev Beta through an OTA update, you will need to install the profile. And so first you need to download the iOS 16 or iPadOS 16 beta profile. Follow the steps given below.
- Go to the Apple Beta Software program site on your iPhone/iPad.
- Tap on the three lines at the left corner and select Discover > iOS.
- Next tap on the Download button in the right corner.
- Now Sign in with your developer account.
- On the next page, look for the correct OS from the list and tap on Install/Download Profile > Allow.
Install iOS 16 Developer Beta Profile
- After the last step in download, go to the Settings app on your iPhone/iPad.
- You will see ‘More for Your iPhone’ on the top, tap on it. Or go to General > VPN & Device Management > Profile Downloaded.
- Select iOS 16 Beta Software Profile.
- On the next screen, tap on Install and follow the on screen steps.
- After installing the profile, restart your iPhone or iPad.
Download and install iOS 16 Beta
Now that the beta profile is installed on your iPhone or iPad you can finally install the first iOS 16 Beta or iPadOS 16 Beta. Here’s how to download and install iOS 16 Beta 1 and iPadOS 16 Beta 1.
- Connect your phone to a charging point and WiFi with the Internet.
- Open Settings on your device.
- Now go to General > Software Update.
- You will find the new iOS 16 Beta on iPhones or iPadOS 16 Beta on iPads.
- Tap on the Download and Install button.
- The device will reboot after installation.
- Now you can enjoy the latest iOS 16 Beta 1 and iPadOS 16 Beta 1.
So this is how you can download and install iOS 16 Beta and iPadOS 16 Beta. You can also install the first beta of iOS 16 or iPadOS 16 with IPSW files that are also available with the developer account when enrolling for the new beta. It requires Finder on Mac.
Have you installed the first iOS 16 Beta? If yes, how is your experience, and what new features you have located. Let us know in the comment section.