Virtual Reality gaming has been seeing an increase, thanks to VR headsets such as HTC Vive and the Meta Quest 2. A lot of people know that you need to have an internet connection to play your games on Quest 2. But since the Quest 2 is a standalone headset, you can easily run and play games without having to use or connect it to a PC. This is useful when you want to play VR games while traveling or out of your home.
Because you can take your Quest 2 headset outside with you, a lot of people seem to be having one question in mind. Everyone wants to know whether you require an internet connection to play games or movies with Quest 2. So, today we will be answering the question of whether you need to have an internet connection to play games on your Quest 2.
Do you need the Internet to Games on Oculus Quest 2?
The short answer to the above question is No! You do not need to have an active internet connection to play games on your Meta Quest 2 VR headset. The only time that you will be required to have an active internet connection with your Quest 2 is when you are preparing for the initial setup of your Quest 2. The initial setup requires you to have an internet connection so that you can either sign in or create a meta account for your Quest 2 headset.
There are a good number of games that you can purchase and install on your Meta Quest 2 to install and play offline. However, you will need an internet connection to download and set up the game for the first time. The best part about the Oculus Store is that you can look at and install games that work perfectly in offline mode.
How to Install Offline Games on Oculus Quest 2
Finding and installing offline games on your Quest 2 is simple and easy. All you need to do is launch the Oculus Store on your Quest 2 and search for any game. Once you open the game’s store page, you should be seeing the text Internet Connection Required. If this is written that means you will require an active internet connection.
If the game says that an Internet Connection is not required, you can easily download the game and play it offline whenever and wherever you want.
How to Enable Offline Mode on Oculus Quest 2
The great thing about owning the Meta Quest 2 is that you can appear offline to everyone out there thanks to the Offline Mode aka Invisible Mode present on the Quest 2. With this mode enabled, you will not only appear offline to your friend list but the whole device will go into offline mode. Here is how you can enable this feature.
- Launch the Oculus App on your PC. make sure it’s running the latest version of the app.
- Also, ensure that the app has been paired to your Meta Quest 2 VR headset.
- Click on the Home tab of the app.
- Now, select the Friends option that is present at the bottom left.
- Click on your profile icon or profile picture.
- With that done, click on the three-dot menu present at the upper right.
- Here you will have the option to appear Offline. Select the Choose To Appear Offline option.
- Your Quest 2 has now gone into Offline Mode, meaning that you can play offline games on your Quest 2 whenever and wherever you want.
- Alternatively, you can watch movies offline by connecting your headset to the PC via the Link Cable and then transferring the movie files to your Quest 2 headset.
This concludes the guide on whether you can play your movies and games on your Quest 2 in offline mode or not. Since the answer is yes, you can play your games offline, (provided you have already downloaded and set up the game for the first time), you should be perfectly fine.
If you have questions or queries, feel free to leave them in the comments section below.