iPhone 12 is the latest phone from Apple and there are total four iPhone 12 in the series. All these phones come with a bezel-less display. And this means there is no home button. This is no surprise as Apple ditched the home button a long ago for premium devices. But if you are switching from an iPhone with the home button then this guide is for you. Here you will know how to put iPhone into DFU Mode and Recovery Mode.
iPhone 12 series brings the old iPhone design but it doesn’t include the home button as old generation iPhones. And so controlling the new generation of iPhones is different than iPhones with home button. There are three physical buttons on the phone including Volume Down, Volume Up, and a Side button. We can use these buttons for various purposes other than controlling Volume.
Many users don’t know that there are different modes available on iPhones that are rarely used by a standard user. These modes are Recovery and DFU mode. If you Jailbreak your iPhones then you may be aware of these modes as it is used in the process. And to put iPhones into Recovery mode and DFU mode we can use various key combinations.
If you know how to put iPhones into DFU Mode and Recovery Mode with a home button. Then this guide will help you if you are switching to a newer iPhone like iPhone 12. As there are no home buttons in iPhone X or newer iPhones, you need to use different buttons to boot the iPhone into Recovery mode and DFU mode. Before we head to the method to put the iPhone 12, let’s understand what these modes are and where you can use it.
What is Recovery Mode in iPhone 12?
Recovery Mode is an advanced mode used for troubleshooting iPhones. It is used for fixing complex software issues such as you are not able to open an app or your iPhone is stuck in bootloop. Recovery Mode is also used for restoring and updating iPhones.
It is useful in many conditions even when the iPhone becomes unusable or stuck in the screen.
What is DFU Mode in iPhone 12?
DFU stands for Device Firmware Update and it is used to connect with iTunes. Recovery mode also interfaces with iTunes but DFU mode doesn’t load the iPhone operating system also referred to as bootloader. It allows users to restore their iPhones or even it can be used to downgrade iOS. It is an advanced mode for only users who are aware of this mode.
- Take a full backup of your iPhone as performing an action in Recovery or DFU mode can erase your data.
- A Lightning Cable
- The latest version of iTunes or Finder
- The guide will work for iPhone 12 mini, iPhone 12, iPhone 12 Pro, and iPhone 12 Pro Max
Let’s now start our first guide which is how to boot iPhone 12 into Recovery Mode and then we will share the second guide.
How to Put iPhone 12 into Recovery Mode
- First, connect your iPhone 12 with your Mac or PC.
- It will ask you to trust the PC if you are connecting for the first time. So click on the Trust button on your iPhone 12. And enter the passcode on your iPhone to continue.
- When your phone is connected, press the Volume Up button and release it.
- Now press the Volume Down button and release.
- Then press & hold the Side button until you see the cable & PC animation.
- It will now show a prompt on your Mac or PC for Restore and Update option.
If you see these two options on your computer then this means you have successfully booted your iPhone 12 into Recovery Mode.
You can use the update option if you want to upgrade your device. It will not delete your data. But for restore, first, take a backup of your iPhone 12.
Now let’s see how to boot iPhone 12 into DFU mode with a simple method.
How to Put iPhone 12 into DFU Mode
- Connect your iPhone 12 to your computer with the lightning cable.
- It will prompt an option on your iPhone to trust the device so click on the Trust button. Also, enter your passcode.
- Now Press Volume Up button and immediately release it.
- And then press the Volume Down button and release it.
- After that press and hold the Side button for about 10 seconds. Don’t release it now.
- While holding the Side button also hold the Volume Down button for 5 seconds.
- Now release the Side button, but keep holding the Volume down button for the next 10 seconds.
- When it remains on a black screen that means your iPhone 12 is in DFU Mode.
- You will get a popup on your computer with only the OK button while your iPhone is in DFU mode.
The popup will show the message “Your Mac has detected an iPhone in recovery mode. You must restore this iPhone before it can be used.”
Now you can use it for different purposes. It is mostly used by developers to perform various advanced options. You can also use it if you are aware of its functions.
So there you have it the complete guide on how to boot iPhone 12 into DFU Mode and steps to boot iPhone 12 into Recovery mode. In case of any issues let us know in the comment section.