Android 12 is a priority update for many OEMs. Talking about Asus, the Zenfone 8 was the first Asus phone to get the Android 12 update in December last year. The OEM later launched the Android 12 beta program for the ROG Phone 5 and ROG Phone 5s earlier this year. And after testing it for a few months, Asus started rolling out stable Android 12 for the ROG Phone 5 and ROG Phone 5s.
Asus released the roadmap sometime last year and both the ROG Phone 5 and ROG Phone 5s were on the list. And as per the roadmap, Android 12 arrives on the ROG Phone 5 and ROG Phone 5s in Q1, 2022. The ROG Phone 5 series phones are the second Asus phone series to get Android 12 after the Zenfone 8 series. So if you are a ROG Phone 5 or 5s user then your wait is finally over.
Android 12 for ROG Phone 5 base variant comes with build number 31.0810.1226.57. The build number is for the model ZS673KS. And the Android 12 update for ROG Phone 5s (ZS676KS) comes with build number 31.0810.1226.57. Since it is a major update you can expect the update size to be larger. Asus officially shared the update news on its forum.
Coming to new features, the Android 12 for ROG Phone 5 and ROG Phone 5s come with many new features. Luckily Asus has also shared the Android 12 update changelog and both phones share almost the same changelog that you can check below.
ROG Phone 5/5s Android 12 Update Changelog
- Please back up your data before upgrading to Android 12. If you want to downgrade the software version to Android 11 using the official software package, it will erase all data from your device.
- Upgraded system to Android 12
- Introduced new ROG UI design
- Revamped Mobile Manager, Contacts, Phone, File Manager, Calculator, Clock, Gallery, Weather, Sound recorder, Settings, Data Transfer, Local backup, Setup wizard and System update apps
- Merge Wi-Fi and mobile network settings to Internet settings
- Updated the console design in Armoury Crate
- Added extra dim setting, the Drones of Detection theme pack, and AirTriggers’ dual control feature
- Adjusted Quick Settings panel, notification tray, and volume panel to Android 12 design
- Adjusted the Classic style of the power menu to match Android 12 design. Separated device control and Wallet to independent pages.
- Added the Shortcut option in the Security & lock screen settings menu
- Added privacy dashboard, camera and microphone indicators, show clipboard access, approximate location access, and microphone access features
- Replaced ASUS Safeguard with Android 12 Emergency SOS
- One-handed mode integrates Android 12 design and supports more options.
- Removed search option in OptiFlex setting
- Introduced a new widget page design in Launcher. Adjusted the position of the screenshot option and removed the hotseat app icons in the Overview page.
- Added the Swipe to invoke assistant option to Gesture settings
- Removed the Quick Settings layout option from Display settings
- Added splash screen animations when launching apps
- ASUS Phone removed SIP calling support as Android 12 does not natively support SIP calling
- Added the “Draw overlay permission request” dialog when launching Game Genie for the first time
- Removed the function of swiping up from any position of Launcher, holding, and releasing to enter the Overview page when using gesture navigation
- Added the function of going back to the main screen in Launcher by swiping up from the bottom when using gesture navigation
- Added the “Convert videos to AVC” option in the USB preferences page
- Some third party apps are not compatible with Android 12 yet
- Modified the color of the icons in the 1st-layer Settings to Android 12 black and white design
- Fixed no automatic recording option in the call settings page
- Fixed an occasional issue where the battery level of a connected Bluetooth headset would not show
- Fixed the “Disable fan when microphone is active” option in Armoury Crate always being grayed out.
- Fixed an issue with occasional touch responses (ghost touch) when not touching the screen
- Fixed an issue where the lock screen video for dynamic themes would get stuck after waking up the screen.
- Fixed an issue with scrolling up the feed on the Connect homepage in Armoury Crate would directly trigger page reorganization
- Fixed an issue where Armoury Crate would freeze when playing music with the Lighting Armor Case on.
- Fixed an issue with switching a Bluetooth headset on and off during some VOIP calls
- Fixed an issue where theme packs could not be purchased, and the user was directed back to the Google account login page
- Fixed an issue with parameters not taking effect in the custom mode of the graphics acceleration engine in the game configuration file
- Fixed a crash issue when opening Instagram Avatars
- Fixed an issue where swiping right on the Google Now page to browse embedded Youtube videos, the video would automatically pause
- Fixed an issue when 3.5 mm earphones were inserted while playing games and no sound would play in the earphones
- Fixed some occasional Quick Setting drop-down issues
- Fixed an issue where sliding an app in the Recent apps page would cause the app to disappear
- Fixed the occasional issue of system UI not responding
Till the time of writing this article, we haven’t found any user who received the Android 12 update. We guess it is a staged rollout and so it can take a while to be available on all ROG Phone 5/5s phones. If you are a ROG Phone 5 or ROG Phone 5s user, then you will receive the OTA update notification on your phone. If the update notification doesn’t work, you can manually check for the update in Settings > System Update.
If you’re in haste, then you can upgrade your phone manually to Android 12 using the available update file.
Follow @YTECHB on Twitter and YTECHB on Google News for more news and updates related to Android, Smartphones, iOS, Windows, etc.
- These Oppo phones will get ColorOS 12 in March 2022
- How to Relock Bootloader of Asus ROG Phone 5 (Pro)
- List of LG Phones which will get Android 12 update