This month was all about iOS 16 when talking about software. Apple released iOS 16 and iPadOS 16 for developers on June 6. And on the same day, the first iOS 16 Dev beta and iPadOS 16 Dev beta went live. Last week there was no update for iOS 16, but now Apple rolls out iOS 16 Beta 2 and iPadOS 16 Beta 2 to developers.
iOS 16 is a big update especially the lock screen personalization and changes to messages. Apple mentioned many new features of iOS 16 and iPadOS 16 at the WWDC event earlier this month. Most of the new features made it to the first developer beta of iOS 16 and iPadOS 16. But remaining features will be added in several updates. The second iOS 16 dev beta and iPadOS 16 dev beta might also include some new features which you will know later in this article.
iPadOS 16 will not be getting the new lock screen personalization feature but through one of the hidden apps, some of the iOS 16 lock screen functionalities can be enabled. If you didn’t know about it, check out this guide. It’s no longer working on the second developer beta.
Along with iOS 16 Dev Beta 2 and iPadOS 16 Dev Beta 2, Apple also released tvOS 16 Dev Beta 2, macOS Ventura 13 Dev Beta 2, and watchOS 9 Dev Beta 2. Both iOS 16 Dev Beta 2 and iPadOS 16 Dev Beta 2 come with build number 20A5303i. We are expecting at least one more dev beta before the public beta goes live.
As the new dev betas just went live we are checking for the changes. As it is just the second beta we can expect some changes and even new features. We will be adding all the changes here.
- Modem update to version 2.06.01
- Customize buttons in wallpaper picker for both homescreen and lockscreen
- New filters in lockscreen wallpaper customization and pinch to crop function
- Easily customize wallpaper for homescreen and lockscreen separately or together (add customized wallpaper as pair)
- Astronomy wallpaper can now shows your current location with a green dot (you need to give permission)
- To delete any lock screen page or wallpaper slide up and you will get a delete icon
- New wallpapers in Home App (Access from Home App > three dots > home settings > choose from existing)
- Siri call hangup is now available on older iPhones using Airpods or Siri-enabled Beats headphones
- You can now backup your iPhone with iCloud using an LTE connection
- iPadOS – In Stage Manager, there are new options to hide the Dock and Recent Apps
- iPadOS – Resizing any window is now easier and smoother
Both iOS 16 Beta 2 and iPadOS 16 Beta 2 are now available to developers. This will not be available to public beta testers. If you have already installed the first dev beta you can see the dev beta 2 in Settings > General > Software Update. Once the update is available, tap on the Download and Install button.
If you want to try out the iOS 16 Developer Beta and iPadOS 16 Developer Beta, you will need a developer account. You can follow the detailed guide here. In the guide follow the method to install the developer beta profile and install the new update.