After announcing iOS 17, Apple immediately released the first developer betas of iOS 17 and iPadOS 17 on the same day. Following a two-week wait, Apple has now released iOS 17 Beta 2 and iPadOS 17 Beta 2 to developers. While the initial beta brought numerous new features and changes, users are eager to learn what the second beta has in store. Let’s delve into the details and find out.
iOS 17 is currently in its early testing phase, and the beta testing will continue until the public release, which is expected to coincide with the launch of the new iPhone series. The Public Beta, on the other hand, is anticipated to be available starting next month.
Since iOS 17 is a significant update with numerous new features to test, it is likely that many users have already installed the iOS 17 beta on their devices. As the beta testing phase progresses, we can expect to see the addition of more new features in the upcoming beta updates.
Apple also released new developer beta updates for other devices as well. The list of new beta includes watchOS 10 Beta 2, macOS Sonoma 14 Beta 2, tvOS 17 Beta 2, and visionOS Beta 1. Both iOS 17 Developer Beta 2 and iPadOS 17 Developer Beta 2 come with the same build number 21A5268h.
As expected the second developer beta also comes with some changes and new features. Here are some known changes:
- Modem Update
- Software Update page has new options, Update Now and Update Tonight. The update also includes more information like links for beta program and developer program.
- AirDrop’s new feature which is holding two iPhones close together for sharing is now available
- New transparency square shaped Analog clock widget
- Users can select the messaging app when sending messages with Siri
- Users can now choose to show Notification in Standby Mode, and there is Motion Wake option under Night Mode
- There is a new Default option along with Fast and Slow under Haptic Touch
- Crossfade now works as expected without crashing settings
- The new Profile feature is now available in Safari (Under Personal Tab Groups)
- There are some UI changes in some apps
- A bunch of bug fixes
The second beta of iOS 17 and iPadOS 17 is available to users with developer accounts including the free account. Users who already upgraded to iOS 17 or iPadOS 17 will receive the second beta update over the air. But in case you are on iOS 16.5 or iOS 16.6, you will need to log in with your developer account then you will be able to see the option on the Software Update page. You can check for the update by going to Settings > General > Software Update.