Apple has just released the first incremental update to the watchOS 9. Yes, the watchOS 9.1 is finally available to the public. Apple kicks off the stable watchOS 9.1 with a stack of new features and changes, including battery life improvements, the ability to download music without connecting to a magnetic charger, and more. Here are all details about the new watchOS 9.1 update.
Apple is pushing the new software to the eligible Apple Watch models with a 20S75 build number. Just like the other incremental updates, this one requires 596MB of data for downloading. If you own Apple Watch Series 4 or newer model, then you can upgrade your watch to the new software.
Apart from the watchOS 9.1, Apple released iOS 16.1, iPadOS 16.1, macOS 13 Monterey, and tvOS 16.1. If you want to update your Apple Watch to the watchOS 9.1, then make sure to upgrade your iPhone to iOS 16.1.
In terms of changes, watchOS 9.1 comes with a stack of new features including the ability to download music while the Apple Watch is off charger using WiFi or cellular, battery life improvements during Outdoor Walking, Running, and Hiking workouts on Apple Watch Series 8, Watch Ultra, and Watch SE 2 by minimizing the heart rate frequency and GPS readings, and it also brings the Matter integration.
The update brings improvements to the weather app including the rain estimates, hourly weather complication labels, better voice feedback on outdoor run, and more.
Here is the complete list of changes coming with the watchOS 9.1.
- Battery life extended during Outdoor Walking, Running, and Hiking Workouts with the ability to reduce the frequency of heart rate and GPS readings on Apple Watch Series 8, Apple Watch SE (2nd generation) and Apple Watch Ultra;
- Music can download while Apple Watch is off charger using Wi-Fi or cellular;
- Matter, the new smart home connectivity standard, is supported enabling a wide variety of smart home accessories to work together across ecosystem.
This update also includes bug fixes for your Apple Watch.
- Voice feedback of average pace during Outdoor Run may be incorrect
- Chance of rain estimates shown in Weather app may not match estimates on iPhone in current location
- Hourly weather complication may label times as AM during PM hours
- Time duration displayed during Strength Training Workout may not advance for some users
- VoiceOver may not announce app name before reading notification when receiving multiple notifications
How to install watchOS 9.1 update
iPhone owners need to upgrade to iOS 16.1 update before installing watchOS 9.1 on the Apple Watch. You can check the new software both on your Watch or on the Apple Watch app on your iPhone. Here’s how you can upgrade your Apple Watch to the new watchOS 9.1.
- At first, open the Apple Watch app on your iPhone.
- Tap on My Watch.
- Then click on General > Software Update > Download and Install.
- Enter the password for confirmation.
- Tap on Agree to the terms and conditions.
- Once done, tap on install.
Once you tap the install button, it will download and install the newest update on your Apple Watch. Once the installation process is completed, the watch will automatically reboot to the latest watchOS 9.1 update.