After releasing the second RC of iOS 16.5 earlier this week, Apple releases the iOS 16.5 to everyone today. The update was expected as Apple has to start the next beta considering the iOS 17 beta testing will also begin soon after the WWDC event. Let’s find out more about the latest iOS 16.5 public build.
This is the fifth major update after the release of iOS 16. And there will be another iOS 16-based big update and its beta should start tomorrow at the earliest. I am sure most of you might be more interested in iOS 17 than iOS 16 as it reaches its last stage which means only a few improvements and changes.
Along with iOS 16.5 update, Apple also released iPadOS 16.5, watchOS 9.5, tvOS 16.5, macOS Ventura 13.4, macOS Monterey 12.6.6, macOS Big Sur 11.7.7, iOS 15.7.6, and iPadOS 15.7.6.
iOS 16.5 and iPadOS 16.5 both come with the same build number 20F66. The build number is the same as the recently released iOS 16.5 Release Candidate 2. And yes it brings all the features introduced in all iOS 16.5 betas.
The new update brings new Wallpaper with a transition effect when unlocking the iPhone, Dedicated Sports section in Apple News. Along with changes and improvements, the update also addresses a bunch of bug fixes. Official changelog below.
- A new Pride Celebration wallpaper for the Lock Screen to honor the LGBTQ+ community and culture
- Sports tab in Apple News gives easy access to stories, scores, standings, and more, for the teams and leagues you follow
- My Sports score and schedule cards in Apple News take you directly to game pages where you can find additional details about specific games
- Fixes an issue where Spotlight may become unresponsive
- Addresses an issue where Podcasts in CarPlay may not load content
- Fixes an issue where Screen Time settings may reset or not sync across all devices
iOS 16.5 is available for everyone which means if you are on the previous iOS 16 public build, you will receive the update on your device. In case you are on the second release candidate of iOS 16.5, you don’t need to upgrade since its build number is the same as the public build. You can check for the update by going to Settings > General > Software Update.