iOS 16 has to be one of the buggiest updates in iOS history and many users are complaining about the letdown experience caused by these bugs. It is a major update that comes with a lot of new features. But due to bugs users are not getting the best experience. After long testing, the iOS 16.1 public build is finally here.
iOS 16.1 is expected to fix most of the bugs that are present in iOS 16 and also bring many new features. Due to several bugs in iOS 16, most iPhone users were waiting for this update to experience iOS 16 without issues. And the wait is over. You can update your iPhone 8 or newer devices to iOS 16.1.
Along with iOS 16.1 update, Apple also rolls out iPadOS 16.1, watchOS 9.1, macOS Ventura 13.0, tvOS 16.1, macOS Monterey 12.6.1, and macOS Big Sur 11.7.1. The iOS 16.1 comes with build number 20B82 which is different than the release candidate build number. The update weighs around 1GB but it can be different for different iPhones.
Now talking about changes, the new iOS build comes with many new features which are known if you follow beta builds. And apart from new features, it makes the iOS 16 build stable and bug free which is what we want more than new features at the moment.
The update brings iCloud Sharing which allows users to add family or friends to the group and they can share photos in the shared library and also perform actions like editing photos. Live Activities is one of the great features of iOS 16, and with the latest update, third party apps also support Live Activities. You can view the full changelog below.
iOS 16.1 Complete Changelog
iCloud Shared Photo Library
- Separate library for seamlessly sharing photos and videos with up to five other people
- Setup rules allow you to easily contribute past photos based on a start date or people in the photos when you set up or join a library
- Library filters for quickly switching between viewing the Shared Library, your Personal Library or both libraries together
- Shared edits and permissions let everyone add, edit, favourite, caption and delete photos
- Sharing toggle in Camera lets you choose to send photos you take straight to the Shared Library, or enable a setting to share automatically when other participants are detected nearby using Bluetooth
- Live Activities from third-party apps are available in the Dynamic Island and on the Lock Screen for iPhone 14 Pro models
- Apple Fitness+ is supported on iPhone even if you don’t have an Apple Watch
- Key sharing enables you to securely share car, hotel room and other keys in Wallet using messaging apps such as Messages and WhatsApp
- Matter, the new smart home connectivity standard, is supported, enabling a wide variety of smart home accessories to work together across ecosystems
- Reader controls are automatically hidden as you start reading
This update also includes bug fixes for your iPhone:
- Deleted conversations may appear in the conversations list in Messages
- Dynamic Island content is not available when using Reachability
- CarPlay may fail to connect when using a VPN app
iOS 16.1 is the first major update for iPhones since the release of iOS 16 and it is available to the Public. This means the update is available to everyone who has not installed the beta profile. To manually check for the update go to Settings > General > Software Update.
Before updating your iPhone make sure to take a backup of important data and charge it to at least 50%.